Start point: Cunningham’s Fas Gas, 5486 Patricia Bay Highway, Victoria V8Y 1T1
Registration: This is a self-registration walk. Please ask for the walk box at the front counter. The store is open from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily. To confirm hours call store – 250-658-8211.
Contact: Pat or Ed 250-658-2325
There are five remote start walks from this location. Pick up your map at Fas Gas, then drive to the Brookleigh Road/Hamsterly Beach parking lot, where the walks begin:
- Elk and Beaver Lakes Route “A” (10 km). The route follows a wide walking trail around Elk and Beaver Lakes. Trail rating is 2B.
- Elk Lake Route “B” (5 km). This route follows the Elk and Beaver Lakes Trail for 2.5 km, then turns around and returns to the start point. Trail rating is 2B.
- Elk Lake Ridge Walk Route “C” (10 km). The Ridge Walk takes you through Cordova Bay, visiting Mattick’s Farm along the way. Trail rating is 2B.
- Elk Lake Farm Walk Route “D” (10 km). This route follows the Elk and Beaver Lakes trail to Bear Hill Road where it continues on trails and roads to Dan’s Farm on Oldfield Road, then returns to the start point. Trail rating is 2B.
- Elk Lake/Bear Hill Route “E” (10 km). This challenging walk starts in Elk and Beaver Lake Park, then connects to trails in Bear Hill Regional Park. Bear Hill summit offers panoramic views of the Saanich Peninsula, Mount Baker, the nearby Gulf Islands and the San Juan Islands. Trail rating is 3C.